New Year, New Me

Ashley Jun '26, Contributor

Write for the Log. Learn how to surf. Take more hikes. 

Traditionally, around this time, as people welcome the new year, many simultaneously welcome new goals and aspirations. Members of the Loomis Chaffee community –– students, faculty, and administration –– are no exception. From Loomis-related goals to professional goals to personal routine changes, the Loomis community hopes to accomplish much in the new year. 

“We have several community members who themselves or their close family members are facing health issues, so my hope for 2023 is that we can support these people and that they find peace, joy, and health in the coming year,” Mr. Webb Trenchard, Associate Head of the School, said.

Just like for Mr. Trenchard, building community and fostering these connections are a common goal for many LC members. 

“[I want to] keep my connections strong with my friends that don’t live on campus and family I don’t get to see as often by finding and putting more time and effort into seeing those people,” Ms. Stephanie Bissett, Dean of Students and Varsity Girls Lacrosse Head Coach, said.

Supporting one another on campus is a goal shared by students as well. 

“My new year’s resolution is to stay in healthy habits. 2023 is definitely going to be hard but what’s most important is to have a positive mind, don’t be stressed, keep making beautiful art and positive impacts on campus,” Nessa Tang ’24 said.

For LC, community is defined in many ways. 

“I would like to find some more time to make sure that the math department is together and share a common mission,” Mathematics Department Head Dr. Riva said.

Additionally, Loomis students also have many, many academic goals for the new year, inside and outside of the classroom.

“I want to begin learning a new language and do more research on global topics so I can understand and be in tune with what’s going on in the world. I also want to learn how to do a run/riff in singing,” Sophie Singer ’26 said. 

Truly, there is nothing off limits to LC students this year. 

“I actually have 23 resolutions for 2023 but here are my top 3 resolutions. My first resolution is getting a book deal and getting my book published. My second resolution is reading 100 books this year. My third resolution is drinking water everyday,” Mercuri Lam ’24 said. 

Finally, LC students have a vast array of goals to make the most of the new year ahead.

“I want to find people who I can learn from and truly love and care for me,” Kara Wu ’26 said. 

“I wish to build better sleep habits,” Boden Bubb ’25 said.

“I want to read more self help books and less Colleen Hoover,” Rene Russell ’23 said. 

For many, the start of the new year is the chance to set goals and make positive changes in their lives, and the new year simply serves as an excellent starting point. Whether the resolution is to sleep earlier or read more books, use the new year as a time for reset and renewal, and maybe a time for the creation of a resolution too.