The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

Logan Elie: A Run-Through

Cathy Zhang ’26
Logan Elie ’24 standing on the senior path

From Long Island to Martha’s Vineyard to Windsor, Logan Elie ’24 has many homes. Back in New York are her parents, her younger brother Peyton, and their wheaten terrier. Her vacations are spent in Massachusetts — “My happiest of [happy] summers will always be at Martha’s Vineyard,” Elie said. “[It’s] my literal home.” However, at Loomis Chaffee, she’s found a new community.

Elie’s freshman year was governed by COVID-19 restrictions, and she spent half her year online. Like many other students, Elie was intimidated by the thought of meeting her classmates for the first time in person and apprehensive about making friends.

“But,” she said, “I feel like I’ve really found my people… the biggest thing that I’ve grown from is meeting people who aren’t similar to me.”

Another impact the pandemic had on Elie’s life was developing her passion for fashion. During quarantine, Elie became interested in fashion through social media and Pinterest.

Her mother, along with her grandmother, who was once a seamstress for Beyoncé, are key inspirations for her style, and Elie claims that clothing connected them.

“[My grandmother] passed away during my sophomore year, so keeping up with fashion and having a huge closet makes me feel closer to her,” she said.

As a member of the girls’ varsity cross country team and the girls’ varsity track and field team, Elie can often be seen running around campus and at meets such as the Canterbury Invitational and the New England Championships.

“When I’m not doing [those activities] in the winter, I do winter jogging,” Elie said, “so all around running.”

She also has a close, supportive network in both teams.“It’s been my favorite part about Loomis. The girls and I are such a big family, and it’s something I hold very close to my heart,” Elie said. She sees herself running in college as well.

Apart from sports, Elie enjoys being involved in other parts of the community both on campus, including PRISM and LCAA, and off-campus, like tutoring at the Windsor Library. “I teach kids STEM projects and labs to get them engaged,” she said.

STEM is a focus of hers as she looks toward her future. “I think I want to go pre-med… I’d like to have my own office and be either an aesthetician or dermatologist,” Elie said. Other aspirations include living in Manhattan as well as reconnecting with her hometown of Long Island.

One important aspect of her life besides her future is her relationship with her mother. “My mom is just … my person; I tell my mom everything … [She] is my biggest inspiration, and I owe everything to her,” Elie said.

Elie is very grateful for the close bond between herself and her mother.

“I feel like it’s not typical in the black community to be so open and honest with your parents, so … for me, being close to my mom is something I hold very near and dear to my heart,” she said.

While reflecting on her past, Elie emphasized personal growth and positivity. “I think everything happens for a reason,” she said. Although she is graduating from Loomis at the end of this school year, Elie regarded her years at LC with gratitude and fulfillment, even through difficult times.

“In life, there [are] going to be ups and downs, and you have to have the bad days to have the good days,” she said.