The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

PSO Holiday Service Festival

Athip Twinvitoo
PSO Holiday Service Festival

Maia Gorgan ’26
Contributor

From Gingerbread Houses to Greeting Cards: The History of the PSO Holiday Service Festival

On December 8, 2023, the Pelican Service Organization held its annual Holiday Service Festival. A tradition that has lasted for about 6 years at Loomis Chaffee — two during which PSO planned and oversaw the event — the Holiday Service Festival gives students all over the Island a chance to give back to the greater community by running a fundraiser, donating, or crafting.
The festival, which comprises various fundraisers and activities arranged by and for LC students, encourages participation in community service and promotes the spirit of giving. Madeline Van Norman ’25, one of the PSO presidents, notes the LC Environmental Proctors as an example and shares that ‘the E-Proctors are selling honey and will be donating the money raised to their charity of choice.’ Days for Girls, another service organization on campus, is filling care packages to be donated to local women’s shelters.
The Loomis Aid Society’s co-president, Shane Lichen ’26, commented on the significance of clubs running service activities and fundraisers.
“In the spirit of the holiday season, the Loomis Aid Society chose to write cards for seniors to bring warmth and companionship to those who might otherwise feel alone,” he said. “This gesture is meant to go beyond material aid; it’s about sharing a piece of our hearts, offering comfort and joy through words. We believe that these personalized messages can make a significant difference in the lives of seniors, reminding them that they are valued and thought of during this special time of year.”
The annual festival initially began as a tradition in which PSO donated gingerbread houses to a nursing home, and this activity has remained the main event in the now school-wide festival.
Mrs. Henderson, Director of Community Engagement and faculty advisor for PSO, further described the origins of the Holiday Service Festival.
“Many clubs wanted to have a fundraiser at the same time, so rather than having them [scattered] around the 3-week winterim, we decided to run a large fundraiser and donation gathering,” she said.
But the Holiday Service Festival is only partially a fundraiser. Along the way, PSO wanted to make the festival inclusive to all community members and to allow students to give back without the implication of spending a lot of money.
“We try to [plan] this event not so [heavily] around the fundraising, and [instead] give students a chance to give back without only giving their money,” Melody Saunders ’24, a PSO president, said.
She further emphasized the constricted size of the festival, adding that there is usually a maximum of three to four fundraisers.
Although the holidays are a time for festivities, in the case of some individuals, they can also serve as a reminder of the loved ones whom they have lost or of the things they cannot do during the winter season.
Lily Magliacano ’24, another PSO president, stressed the importance of community service during this time of year.
“It is important to give back, because many people cannot celebrate the holidays the same way we do, and [our school-wide service events] can be a really nice way to give back to the community and fill in the gap between the way people can celebrate,” she said.