The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

Senior Reflections

On May 28, close to two hundred Pelicans will be leaving their nest of four years, Loomis Chaffee, off to worlds beyond the Island and the small town of Windsor. Their reflections and advice touch on sports, classes, and friendships — summing up almost all facets of our unique community.

Mahamadou Touray ’23, a boarding student from New York, ironically recalls his favorite Loomis memory to be one off-campus. He particularly enjoyed “traveling to other schools to compete [in sports].” As a matter of fact, almost all of his favorite memories involve sports, whether it be pick-up basketball or listening to an opposing team’s jeering crowd. His advice, though, for non-senior students, does not relate to sports. “Don’t let this opportunity to enjoy Loomis for what it’s worth … go, and enjoy every day on campus like this, [as it] may be the last time you ever see it; it will end sooner than you think,” Touray said.

Meanwhile, for boarding student Dora Lin ’23, her greatest memory involves Justin Bieber, Longman Hall, and “One Time.” On Valentine’s Day in her sophomore year, she was surprised with a life-sized cardboard cutout of her favorite musical artist. Her friends play an integral role in her favorite memories, including her roommate, Chau Tran ’23, “who…[she] trusts with [her]…deepest secrets.” Her final reflection relates to the over-commitment that plagues Loomis students.

“Don’t be afraid to recognize your limits: if you are struggling to balance four clubs at once, prioritize one or two over the others; if you are overwhelmed, reach out for support; if you are truly struggling in an advanced class, drop down a level.” Lin said.

In contrast, senior boarding student Umu Diallo ’23 said, “My favorite LC memory is probably the end-of-year potluck that my friends and I hosted for one another last year.” She particularly enjoyed the potluck’s theme of gratefulness, where they gave informal speeches about their favorite memories together. She appreciated the connections celebrated at the potluck. She recognizes her Arabic teacher, Mr. Karrat, for a similar reason. “Mr. Karrat…[is] my favorite teacher…because of his kindness and ability to connect,” Diallo said. Likewise, her recommendation for non-seniors relates to prioritizing one’s happiness. “My best advice is to simply do what makes you happy!” Diallo advised.

Lastly, Drew Biller ’23, a day student from Wallingford, said her memories are dominated by her love of science. Her favorite class at Loomis, Cell Biology, has become her future major in college. When asked about her favorite teacher, she easily replied, “Ms. Conger…[who is] the best!” Her final reflection as a senior is one that many have heard: “Non-seniors: stay off the senior path!”