The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

Thanksgiving Break Canceled
February 11, 2024
What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
By Daphne Wong 26
Best time capsule to write
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

Uber is Now Allowed for Boarders: What does this imply?

Maddy Vorchheimer ’26
Contributor
Uber is Not Allowed for Boarders: What does this imply?

As of the 2023-2024 school year, students are allowed to both leave and return to campus using Uber. This is widely considered a substantial addition to boarders’ freedoms, as this has previously been prohibited. As of May 22nd of 2023, Uber now allows minors (in some states) from as young as thirteen to have the option of using Uber as a means for transportation. Although this is widely considered a positive addition to campus policy, there’s debate surrounding this issue.

“I’ve felt more comfortable taking Ubers and [I] take them more often. For example, on weekends I’ve taken some to West Hartford and other places with my friends instead of having a day student parent drive us,” said Cathy Zhang ’26.

Like she explains, boarders are no longer reliant on a day student, nearby family, or friends to go off campus and to be the determinant in their off-campus plans, making day trips more accessible.

Of course, this poses an issue about safety, as although there are rules affiliated with the Uber program itself, Loomis is ultimately responsible for the safety and whereabouts of boarders.

Cathy also believes Loomis should prioritize “making sure students know to be safe and what to do in bad situations” and “making the Uber rules or terms more clear or more known,” as many do not have background on Uber’s minor policy or the current safety precautions in place. She raises a very important point in these statements, as although there are rules and regulations, a lack of widespread knowledge of them can make their aim of providing safety ineffectual.

Uber currently, as previously stated, only allows minors 13 years of age and older to use Uber, as well as requiring parent’s/guardian’s permission. The app also incorporates safety precautions, including a feature that allows parents/guardians who add a minor to their account to be able to track where they are throughout the duration of their trip. In response, Cathy said that these protocols are “helpful for our safety and making sure that we know how to use Uber safely.”

Additionally, they’re definitely important and needed for students to use Uber. One safety precaution by the school involves having to make pers to take an Uber, which allows both a level of freedom, as well as offering an extra safety precaution on behalf of Loomis. Overall, this is a positive addition as both an option for transportation, and a beneficial freedom for boarding students. Although there may be questions regarding the safety of boarders using Uber, there is an apparent focus on safety between both Uber’s policies and Loomis’ regulations.