The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

Beebop’s Science Corner

Welcome to Beebop’s Science Corner, your portal to understanding the infinitude of the universe. Each issue we’ll introduce a new question for you to ponder while chewing on your chicken in the dining hall.

Today’s issue concerns the bathroom. Specifically, the age-old debate of paper towels vs. hand dryers. On the Loomis Chaffee campus, we’re conditioned to simply reach for the paper towel dispenser — but have we ever considered the alternative: hand dryers?

In the battle between paper towels and hand dryers, scientific research plays an integral role, helping us measure each option’s superiority with facts and figures. Different opinions litter the internet:
“Of course paper towels are better! They’re more hygienic!”
“Don’t you care about the environment? Hand dryers save trees!”

Obviously, evidence can be found to support each of these statements, but have you ever questioned where this information comes from? Scientists often boast impressive qualifications and affiliation with accredited organizations. However, they aren’t immune to the power of conflicting interests.

In a marketing campaign titled “The Science is Clear”, Kimberly-Clark, one of the largest paper towel manufacturers in the United States, released a set of academic papers affirming the scientific supremacy of paper towels. In an article published by the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, the authors conclude that paper towels are more effective at increasing hand hygiene compared to hand dryers. However, hidden in the footnotes, it’s revealed that one of the authors served as a former consultant for Kimberly-Clark. Another study, also funded by Kimberly-Clark, premiered at the European Tissue Symposium and concluded that there were “significant hygiene risks associated with jet air dryers and warm air dryers.”

On the other end of the spectrum, the lengthy paper — “Comparative Evaluation of the Hygienic Efficacy of an Ultra-Rapid Hand Dryer vs Conventional Warm Air Hand Dryers” — concludes that “Ultra-Rapid Airblade hand dryer was shown to be superior to the warm air dryers for reducing bacterial transfer.” Additionally, it goes on to highlight the Airblade’s lack of paper waste and fast drying time, but in the Acknowledgement Section, the study was shown to be funded by Dyson Limited of Malmesbury, UK, the maker of the Dyson Airblade.

Ultimately, these studies tell a story of the epic 2010 PR battle between Kimberly-Clark and Dyson, but they also serve as a greater symbol of our times. Why isn’t something as analytical as science exempt from corporate bias? Can research ever free itself completely from the grasp of skewed sponsors?

Next time you find yourself in a bathroom, choosing between paper towels and hand dryers, let your internal dialogue run rampant with questions.

Closing off, as Beebop always says, make sure to stay silly, kids.