The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

The School’s Support for Standardized Testing

Many students have become familiar with standardized testing throughout the years at Loomis Chaffee, as the school provides exams such as the PSAT and ACT on campus. However, beyond the encouragement of taking the test, there are few resources for preparation.

To analyze the adequacy of Loomis’s standardized testing resources, it is essential to contextualize testing in the college admissions process. Even though many colleges have begun to make submitting test scores optional, as Director of College Guidance at Loomis, David Rion, said, “the majority of our students are still at least trying to get a good score, and many of our students still do test prep.”

As standardized testing is still a factor in applications, the resources for testing provided by the school are noteworthy. In addition to administering tests, Loomis collaborates with test prep companies and offers a program of four free hours of one-on-one tutoring. The college guidance office is also available to support students with questions about testing.

However, as an independent college preparatory school, Mr. Rion said, “the best test prep our students get is our math and English curriculum for a few years leading up to the tests.”

While Loomis’s academic curriculum does provide a strong foundation in subjects, standardized testing often demands more rehearsal and familiarity. In the absence of direct SAT/ACT test preparation, some students may feel that they lack the specific strategies and techniques necessary for success. Outside of the four free hours of tutoring, students who do not have external accessibility to test prep are put at a disadvantage.

Standardized testing, to some extent, is not a measure of direct intelligence but rather a reflection of the resources available to students for test preparation. Nevertheless, testing can benefit applicants through the rigorous and competitive admissions process regardless of what they may mirror. Recognizing this, it becomes critical for Loomis to offer comprehensive support.

Annikka Thiessen ‘24, a senior currently navigating the testing process, said, “offering direct tutoring free of charge would be an opportunity nearly all students would take advantage of.” While costs and time constraints may limit Loomis from one-on-one test prep tutoring, group tutoring sessions or occasional workshops could provide students with valuable guidance without overburdening the school.

Moreover, hosting a few sessions throughout the year dedicated to addressing common mistakes, essential formulas, and test-taking strategies would be immensely beneficial. These sessions can serve as valuable supplements to the existing resources for students who may not have access to individual test prep.

As standardized testing remains a component of many students’ college applications, senior Sofia Rincón ‘24 said, “it is important to ensure test preparation support beyond the four free hours given so that those who cannot continue with the company by paying still have equitable access to opportunities for success.”