The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

(Re)Freshing Finds: A Look Into Windsor’s Antique Acene

Lucia Zhang ’25
The James Selig Estate Jewelry and Anqtiques shop in town.

A white building next to CVS houses one of Windsor’s best-kept secrets — James Selig Estate Jewelry and Antiques. Visitors are entranced by everything they come into contact with. The store has everything: lamps, furniture, music records, jewelry, and even a separate clothing shop upstairs. Everything is sourced ethically; the store gets its items from clearing out old homes and properties. 

One of the best finds within the antique store is the jewelry. The selection within the store is highly varied and has a diversity of options for any customer; there are not only more orthodox items such as rings, watches, and earrings but also flamboyant chokers and gemstone drop necklaces. However, it’s important to realize that every item, no matter how they look, has a story; the dresser by the cashier table houses more than 20 accessories, and it was all donated by one lady. A sterling silver necklace engraved with the words ‘love forever’ was from a mother who couldn’t stand to see her daughter heartbroken over this gift from her ex-lover. Even the clothing which the store offers has stories within itself — a wool jacket displayed in the store might appear simple at first glance, but upon closer inspection, one can discover that it’s an artifact of the civil war. 

Another business to highlight in town is Patti’s Treasures and Antiques. A further walk away from the town center, this store houses some wondrous finds. Having been here for over 50 years, Patti’s is home to some of the best teacups and costume jewelry. In many of the rooms, there are trays upon trays of necklaces and brooches all categorized by color. Upstairs, there are rooms of clothing in all shapes and sizes with accessorizing options like bandanas, silk scarves, and even cowboy perfume. If you feel adventurous enough, the store even offers several old dolls and toys for enjoyment. The price of these finds isn’t bad either—Patti always offers discounts for many of the deals with most jewelry being on at least a 50% discount. 

These vintage stores hold untold histories of our everyday lives: no matter how small, everything has a story behind them. By reselling these antiques through second hands, Patti and James Selig free these items to tell their stories.