Spotlight: PG Basketball Players

Adiv Sugoto '23, Contributor

Dre Smart
Savannah, Georgia native, Deandre Smart, has made his presence felt on the Olcott Gym hardwood. Averaging around 10 points per game, he provides points from all three levels on offense.
“Dre has been really good at pick-and-roll [plays], and offensively he continues to take care of the ball which is really great for us. He also has been really good at combining [the team’s] offense.” Varsity Boys Basketball Assistant Coach Elliott Dial said.
More importantly, Smart’s ability to guard multiple positions on the floor, both on the perimeter and inside the paint, has significantly bolstered the team’s defense and helped the team work towards achieving their desired defensive identity.
“[Dre brings] a wealth of knowledge and experience onto the team,” said Dial. “One of the good things about Dre is that he stays on the same level when things are going well and when things are going bad, and that is really tough to do as an athlete. He continues to play his game no matter the situation,” Dial added.
Sophomore teammate Kingston Walker ’24 said, “Dre has been there for the team big time! On and off the court he always keeps the team in a good mood. If we are arguing or playing badly, he never gets negative or down on his teammates.”
“Off the court he is someone that has always been there for me, giving me advice about basketball and everything else in life to be honest. Being a younger player, Dre has been a great role model for me to look up to. [On the court] if he sees that I’m having an off day or not going 100%, he’s there to push and motivate me,” Walker continued.
“[My intention is] to use this extra year of high school to help better myself and prepare for college while trying to get better opportunities for college scholarships,” said Smart.
“[As for the team], I want to contribute to winning as much as I can. A big goal for the team is to bring another NEPSAC Championship back to Loomis,” Smart continued.

Adam Dudzinski
Arriving at Loomis Chaffee as a PG from Syracuse, New York, Adam Dudzinski (Dudz) is determined to bring his winning experience to the Loomis Chaffee Varsity Basketball Team. Standing at 6-foot-8, Dudzinski has proved pivotal to the team’s defensive style of play, protecting the rim with timely blocks and deflecting opposition passes for steals. Though, his impact on the floor has not merely ended on the defensive side, according to Assistant Coach Elliott Dial, “Dudz is really good in pick-and-pop [plays],” elevating the team’s ability to “stretch the floor offensively.”
The outstanding performer in the Pelicans’ home game against Trinity Pawling on February 12th, Dudz displayed his versatility on the hardwood, showcasing his paint presence on both sides of the floor and his sizzling-hot form from behind the arc. Producing a sequence of a put back layup, a block, and back to back three-pointers in consecutive plays, number 13 ended the first half on fire with this stretch proving crucial in a five point margin victory.
A serial winner at his previous high school, Dudzinski exclaimed his determination “to have the same success with winning games and possibly winning a [New England] championship.”
“I just want to do whatever I can to help us win… I’m not worried about stats or points, I’d rather ensure that we win,” said Duzinski, committed to Saint Rose .
“[Dudz has been] a great leader, he continues to help our younger kids and continues to play extremely well. He knows he has a job to do… and is very attentive and coachable. He listens to the advice coach Battistoni and I give on a daily basis and reacts to it,” Coach Dial said.
Approaching the tail end of the season, “[the group] know[s] that we still have to win games to qualify for the playoffs so we are pretty locked in on that. Everyone’s happy that we’ve done well to get this far, but we still are motivated for more,” Dudzinski said.