How to Get (Digitally) Involved at LC

Anna Li '21, Staff Writer

As Loomis Chaffee has shifted spring term to an online learning environment, Loomis students and faculty are faced with the challenge of finding opportunities to get involved digitally. Fortunately, a few clubs on campus have continued to meet through Zoom, and the community service program has moved to online lessons and projects.

The community service program at Loomis has organized activities that are accessible at home, such as online tutoring, sewing and knitting projects for nurses and doctors, and pen pal letters. Director of Community Services Heather Henderson has offered Loomis students the opportunity to promote or create their own service programs and sign up for service opportunities via the daily bulletin.

The Boys and Girls Club, a program still in development, poses as an opportunity for students to get involved in a project during this unprecedented time. Mrs. Henderson is currently working with Mr. Cancian, who organizes tutoring at the Hartford Boys & Girls Club, to arrange Loomis volunteers to tutor students online. This can be another opportunity for students to get involved in a developing project throughout this unprecedented time.

The Pancake Society has also moved to online club meetings.

“Rather than us making pancakes… we invited our members to set up their own pans and make some cakes for themselves,” said Matt Aljian ’22, co-president of Pancake Society. In addition to the Pancake Society, many other groups on campus such as PRISM, PASA, and Spectrum have met or have scheduled meetings with its members.

As this term progresses, Loomis students and faculty will be faced with the challenge of getting involved digitally. However, it is obvious this quarantine will offer interesting and unique opportunities for students to get involved.