The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

Native Ball Screening

Alicia Tay ’27
Contributor

Native Ball Screening

On Tuesday, November 28th, People Rising In Support of Multiculturalism (PRISM) and the Center for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) hosted a screening of Native Ball: Legacy of the Trailblazer. This film features Malia Kipp, the first Montana tribal member and one of the first Native Americans to play NCAA Division I women’s basketball.

The film was chosen for screening because of its cultural significance. The Center for DEI and PRISM aimed to spark discussions about Native American representation, history, and their challenges.

“We had a fascinating conversation on the importance of education in indigenous communities and the breaking of cyclical traumatic legacies. The film was selected to raise awareness about the struggles, triumphs, and cultural significance of the Native Americans,” PRISM President Aster Conway-Reppert ’26 said.

Kipp faced multiple challenges throughout her time at college, particularly cultural whiplash. At times, the University of Montana felt like an entirely different world for Kipp; often alienated and unfamiliar with the culture, in stark contrast to her tribal community, she was forced to be quiet and reserved.

“I felt really different than all the other people,” Kipp said in the film.

Kipp’s support from her community was not forgotten by her years throughout college. Instead, it motivated her to continue despite the differences, problems, and issues she faced during her time there. Her determination also stemmed from her culture, which was part of who she was, and what she stood for.

“My motivation at Missoula, to get a degree, to continue playing basketball were my family, who I am, where I came from, to kind of reverse the stereotype,” Kipp said within the film.

The film aligns in several ways with the DEI Center’s and PRISM’s ideals. Their mission is to promote an inclusive school community through embracing the diversity of the student and faculty body, and for all to have a strong sense of belonging. PRISM aims to promote multiculturalism and understanding amongst students by learning about diverse cultures and experiences different from our own.

“A lot of times we have preconceived notions about Native people, their communities, their culture, and what they represent, and who they are … this short film challenges those views and expands upon what we know about Native people,” PRISM President Anuva Kolli ’24 said.

From fostering a more inclusive environment, facilitating learning about different cultures, as well as showcasing different narratives that may be underrepresented, amongst PRISM’s and the Center for DEI’s movie screenings, Kipp’s story, too, fostered understanding and shed light on the experiences of Native American communities.