The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

Thanksgiving Break Canceled
February 11, 2024
What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
By Daphne Wong 26
Best time capsule to write
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

Alvord Center International Education Programs

Aaron Michelson ’27
Contributor

The new school year marks the release of the Alvord Center for Global & Environmental Studies’s five new international programs. By providing students with opportunities to learn hands-on and actively engage with material beyond the classroom setting, these programs strive to develop globally and environmentally engaged leaders.

For 12 years, the Alvord Center has hosted immersive trips that provide unique opportunities to students.

“We really try to focus on keeping these programs small and intimate so that they can be as immersive as possible,” Alvord Center Director Marley Matlack said. The focus of these trips lies not only in educating students about the theme of the trip but also in providing students with unique experiences they won’t find elsewhere.

The five locations chosen this year are Belgium, Iceland, London, France, and Cuba & Miami. Each location focuses on a different theme: the Belgium trip on international relations & sustainable development, the Iceland trip on political science & model united nations, the London trip on environmental studies, the France trip on art & social justice, and the Cuba & Miami trip on multiculturalism & world history.

“Our trips are not simple tours … we call them experiential education,” Ms. Matlack said. This experiential education is crucial to the significance of the programs. “The students don’t only learn about the focus of the program but also the culture, food, and art of the communities they visit.”

While the programs are as affordable as the Alvord Center can make them, financial aid is available for students who may need it.

“We think about pricing for students, making sure we keep things affordable.” Ms. Matlack said.

The Alvord Center aims to minimize both the environmental impacts they leave on their destination and the disturbance caused to local communities.

“We want our students to be able to immerse themselves, blend in, and have a more authentic experience,” Ms. Matlack said. “We advocate for sustainable tourism, so we want to be mindful that wherever we go, we do not leave carbon footprints.”

The Alvord Center’s international programs are perfect opportunities for Loomis Chaffee students to garner new experiences and become more skillful global citizens.