The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

The Rising Up Ceremony Will Go Wrong.

Lillian Clark ’24
The Junior Rising Up Ceremony

You will think that it will be a wonderful spring morning in Windsor, Connecticut as the Junior class at the Loomis Chaffee School prepares to finally rise to be seniors — but maybe you will speak too soon.

As you gather for your rising up ceremony, you will find yourself hoping nothing goes wrong (without knocking on wood). A rookie mistake. The instant you step onto the Senior Path for the first time, a bit of the fabric will catch the toe of your shoe and send you careening forward into the other members of your class. Embarrassed, you will catch yourself and apologize profusely, but everyone will have seen you trip and nearly fall. But of course, there will be more.

For the week before the incident, the weather app will promote a high temperature of 78° and clear, sunny skies for the fine Tuesday morning on which you and the class of 2024 will be awarded the rank of senior (citizens). Yet to the dismay of meteorologists and all Loomis students, faculty, and staff, exactly as all the phones come out for pictures, there will be a deluge that soaks you and all your friends in milliseconds.

You will make haste to get your phone out of the rain, but it will make little difference. As you fail to shelter your now waterlogged phone, you won’t be able to move out of the rain, and as you start watching the Senior Path, it will become more and more flooded. Soon the entire quad will turn into ankle-deep wading pools like those at city parks, and whether your shoes are water-friendly or not, it will feel nasty.

But that won’t be the end of your troubles. You and the other juniors will fail to evacuate the now flooded Quad. You will trip (for real this time) over the cruel piece of fabric that plagues the Path. Your nice outfit will become muddled with mud, and as you walk away, your shoes will squish the entire way to your first period class.

You’ve always wanted to be able to leave a lasting impression as a senior at Loomis, and you will definitely be leaving some very dirty footprints for others to hopefully not follow. You can rest assured that you will leave a mark on Loomis, even if it will just be a muddy outline of you on the Senior Path.