The Student Newspaper of The Loomis Chaffee School

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

The Loomis Chaffee Log

What we’re thankful for
What we’re thankful for
February 11, 2024
Prepare for cold
Prepare for cold
February 11, 2024
Instagram Feed

Prospective Pelicans Preview the Island

March 28, March 30, April 4, and April 5 served as this year’s Pelican Preview Days, Loomis Chaffee’s long-lasting tradition of introducing newly admitted students to the community.

Accepted students received a glimpse of the supportive atmosphere, beautiful campus, and vibrant classroom setting, all of which informed the decision-making process in the final stages of their high school search. 

“What really distinguishes us is the strength and warmth of our community — and that was on full display,” Dr. Sheila Culbert, Head of School, wrote in a recent email. She noted that the goal of the preview days was to give a snapshot of life on the Island and showcase opportunities at centers such as the Pearse Hub for Innovation, one of the many locations on campus where students can actively expand on ideas beyond the classroom setting.

For accepted students, the day began in Hubbard. Mrs. Amy Thompson, Dean of Enrollment, welcomed families, addressed decision-making for schools, and provided insight on what there is to gain from the process of choosing schools. Then came Dr. Culbert’s brief speech, which touched upon Loomis Chaffee as an academic setting, an environment where students thrive, and a welcoming community where bonds with lifelong friends are formed.

Students subsequently headed off to classes with Loomis host students. Pairings were specifically made to align the interests of the accepted students and their hosts.

“It was an amazing opportunity to take a breather and view the things we took for granted through the eyes of a newly accepted Pelican. Especially as a host who was assigned to bring students along to classes, it brought back so many memories of when I was in their position, deciding whether Loomis was the right fit for me,” George Mirgorodskiy ’26 said.

After following Pelicans to class, accepted students were paired off into groups with tour guides for Pelican Connection Time. During this time, tour guides walked around, viewing their favorite spots on campus and sharing what moments they enjoyed the most on the Island. 

To end the day, students headed off to panels, club fairs, and presentations at various spots across the campus. These were additional opportunities for students to engage themselves and learn more about what they may want to pursue in the coming years.

The underlying values of Preview Day were intended to stretch beyond the boundaries of the Loomis Chaffee campus. 

“The majority of students who visit are applying as freshmen. It’s very important to provide an opportunity for them to think about where they are going to go over the course of the next four years. Regardless of what school they may be headed to, we want to excite and prepare them for the future,” Mrs. Thompson said. “[Pelican Preview Day] was an amazing opportunity to stop and pause in everyday life and show a sense of pride and gratitude to the LC community,” Mrs. Thompson said.